Description: Building on last week’s WIMPS session we will work on variations of passes and how they can be used to switch the point of attack in a game.
- “Width in attack”
- When to switch play? (When the game is compact)
- Types of passes to switch play
- Using Possession to switch point of attack
- Inside hook
- Outside hook
- Cruyff turn
- Drag Back
- Insides/toe taps
- Punch pass: Using the instep, drive through centre of the ball. Most accurate.
- Driven pass: Using the laces, knee over the ball and drive through centre of the ball. Most powerful/quickest
- Curled pass: Using instep, wrap foot around the ball to add spin.
- Lofted pass: Using laces/instep, strike under the centre of the ball. Can be quick and evade defenders when used appropriately.
Description: Technical warm-up based on ball control, dribbling and turn technique.
Technical – Passing Variations
Description: Activity to develop variations of passes, looking at when to use which pass in a game in order to switch the point of attack.
Players split into three teams, one team in either end zone with the third team in the middle with a ball. Player in the middle must play a 1-2 with one end player who then plays a long pass to opposite end zone. Middle player then repeats.
SSG – 2 Goals
Description: Max 6v6, two teams each have two goals to attack. 1 Point for goal in either net. If a team can quickly switch the point of attack and score they will receive 3 points.
Develop understanding of WIMPS, can we always have someone in support deep and ahead of the ball? Show how to use possession to quickly switch the point of attack as well as various passing techniques.