Session to develop passing and receiving technique. We then introduce players to different 4v4 conditioned games where they have to solve different problems.
- Short passing and receiving
- Patience in possession
- Penetration in attack
- Forward runs, runs into space
Warmup – Technical (Passing) (20mins)
Description: Three variations of short passing, slowly lifting the tempo as the warm up goes on. Players should work on developing passing and receive technique, ideally working with 1 or 2 touches maximum.
SSG – Playing against a high line (20mins)
Description: This game mimics playing against a team that defends high up the pitch, the team in possession must look to beat the offside trap and either drive into the attacking third or receive a well timed pass.
Once the attacker breaks into the end zone only 1 defender can follow in to defend. As the players get used to the drill add more pressure or regress as required.
- Add more pressure
- Remove offside – now all attacking players must be over half way line to score. Helps to develop sense of when to move up the pitch as a unit
- Add strikers into the end zones, they must receive the ball with their backs to goal and look to set a midfielder for a shot from distance. This can be useful when the attacker is being tightly marked
- Play starts from Goal Keeper who must play into central zone, you can retain possession by going back to keeper unopposed
- If ball goes out of middle zone simply kick in rather than throw, if ball goes out in either end zone it is goal keepers ball, no corners
- If you score you keep possession but start from your keeper
Free Play (20mins)